Male Breast Reduction (Gynaecomastia)
Male Breast Reduction or Gynaecomastia refers to the swelling of male breasts. Breast tissues become overdeveloped in this condition. Gynecomastia is caused by a number of factors including lack of testosterone, excess of estrogen and obesity. At times, it has a hereditary origin too. Mostly there are no symptoms but if the mammary glands are enlarged, you will feel intermittent pain or tenderness. Consumption of too much alcohol and drugs can lead to gynecomastia as well.
Male Breast Reduction is done to
Immediate improvement in the shape and appearance of your chest
Enlarge breasts that are naturally small.
Bad Self-image related to large breasts
How Surgery Performed?
Gynecomastia is carried out using either local anaesthesia or intravenous sedation under general anaesthesia and usually requires an overnight stay in hospital. Our Doctor will recommend you what is best for you during your consultation session.
During your initial consultation with our Doctor you will
- Examine your medical history and any medications you are using
- Explain to you the procedure in detail.
- Recommend the type of procedure, catering to your specific needs and goals.
Who is a Good candidate for Gynecomastia Surgery?
Good candidates for male breast reduction are:
- Healthy individuals who do not have a life-threatening illness or medical conditions that can impair healing
- Men who are physically healthy and of relatively normal weight
- Men who are bothered by the feeling that their breasts are too large
- Men whose breast development has stabilized
- Non-smokers and non-drug users
- Men who are prepared for a surgical procedure
- Men who is able to take time to recover
- Men who are willing to follow all of our instructions
To know more about Male Breast Reduction Surgery, schedule your consultation with Dr. Aftab Siddiqui.
Benefits of Gynecomastia Surgery
Men who are suffering from gynecomastia may sometimes feel not masculine enough due to the unwanted contour of their chests. Gynecomastia surgery can relieve you from this frustration and make your chest look more manly. This procedure gives you a broader range of advantages that contribute to better overall health and well-being.
Some of the psychological benefits of gynecomastia surgery are:
- Enhance your confidence and self-esteem while interacting with friends and other members of society
- Develop a more masculine figure
- Relieves you from social stigma attached to enlarged male breasts
- You can participate in more physical activities such as exercising, running, and swimming, more comfortably without being self-conscious
- Helps you free your mind from distressing thoughts, such as what to wear and how to cover your chest
- Alleviate your back pain
- Improve your posture
- You can go shirtless without worrying about your appearance
Does Gyno grow back after Male Breast Redcution Surgery?
All patients should understand that there is always a slight chance of developing gynecomastia again after surgery. Generally, gynecomastia surgery affords patients with long lasting results, but in some cases, gynecomastia can return after male breast reduction surgery. This happens rarely in patients that experience excessive weight gain or take certain types of steroids and medications that produce breast enlargement.
Temporary side effects Of Male Breast Reduction Surgery
Male Breast Reduction surgery is simple and straightforward surgery with common temporary complications which includes:
- Bruising and Swelling
- Fluid collections
- Contour irregularities
- Loss of nipple skin
- Visible scarring
- Numbness of the nipples
- Inverted nipples
- Loosing breast skin and asymmetries
Is it worth getting Gynecomastia Surgery?
If gynecomastia weighs heavily on your self-esteem and negatively affects your quality of life, surgery may be a healthy consideration. Gynecomastia surgery is both a surgical procedure and a form of male breast surgery, which means that it is more likely to be beneficial than other non-surgical procedures. This procedure is fast, scarring is minimal, and the results are permanent. It is worth getting gynecomastia surgery as patients experience increased confidence as a result of their more masculine chest appearance.
What is the fastest way to recover from Gynecomastia Surgery?
Some tips to recover quickly from gynecomastia surgery are:
- Get lots of rest and sleep, especially over the first week following surgery.
- Follow post-procedure instructions given by your surgeon.
- Wear the compression garments that your surgeon provided.
- Eat healthy diet and stay hydrated.
- Take care of your incisions.
- Plan on taking a full week off from work.
- Make sure to sleep on your back and prop yourself up with pillows.
- Do not do any heavy lifting or physical activity until instructed by your surgeon.
- Refrain from scratching the area.
Post Operative Activities
- No stretching arms for the first 6 weeks.
- Normal daily activities like driving etc are allowed after the first week.
- Body exercises can be starts from the 6 week onwards.